Bringing Nature into Your Home…
Very Low Maintenance, No Water Changes Required”
What am I?? A Reef or Rainforest...Herb, Crystal or Fairy Garden....Aquarium ?
Welcome to an amazing concept called Aquaponics!! Put simply, aquaponics is combining fish and plants together. The fish feed the plants, and the plants clean the water. Best of all it is very low maintenance and productive…no cleaning… no water changes!!
If you Love Nature, you have to Watch this video!!
Imagine a soft bubbling spring flowing water over your rock fern feature… tumbling down until is lands on a green carpet of bright native violet flowers… which eventually trickles down into a rocky water pool below with a crayfish and fish lurking in his rocky cave... The water is filled with thousands of tinny bubbles...The dappled light throws a rainbow onto your kitchen splashback....and a night they are a wonderful glowing lantern if you place a light behind the bowl.
Warning!! this feature can be Mesmerizing....Whether your staring at it on your desk at work, or holding a coffee waking up in the morning....its not hard not to be transported to a more relaxing world...
As a biologist, I have spent decades making imitated rock and fern features, aquariums and fish systems… and incorporated this knowledge into a very compact and clever unit. You get to choose what plants you want…do you want a vegie and herb garden?.... or would you prefer a fern garden?. Our rainforest species are all natives and include some amazing ferns and fern allies (club mosses etc).
How Does It Work?
So how is it possible to grow healthy vegetables and keep fish with no cleaning or water changes?
Aquaponics is a process nature has been using for millions of years. When water flows over rocks and gravel of a fast flowing rapid, it adds oxygen which bacteria use to convert fish waste into healthy plant food. This process filters the water and provides optimal growing conditions for both fish and plants.
Our Aqua-Ecosystem Features work in exactly the same way. Water is pumped from the bowl below to the top of the feature, where it flows over hundreds of clay balls which house bacteria that convert fish waste (Ammonia) into safe plant food (Nitrates).
This means you;
- Can keep a pet fish or crayfish (can you see the pet crayfish in the bowl below?)
- Grow vegetables, herbs or have a a great looking mini rainforest.
- Have the sound of nature in the house (flowing water which can be turned down if you wish)
- Have a crystal or fairy garden
What is Left to do if There is no Cleaning or Water Changes?
No much really!! Just a few minutes maintenance per month is all that is required. Most of the jobs outlined below take less than 30 seconds to do.
- Topping up water occasionally
- Feeding of fish or crayfish (great job for the kids)
- Cutting off the vegetables or herbs to be used in cooking. If you choose the Rain-forest Garden Style you only need to cut off the native violet runners which grow around the bowl occasionally.
- Clean some pads under a tap once very few weeks.
- Spraying plants with a liquid fertilizer every few months.
That’s it!! Kids and adults alike will love having a creek and fern garden on your kitchen bench or in your home.
- Plants are known to filter and improve air quality. In addition, the flowing water over clay balls collects dust and other impurities which is processed by the bacteria… which further improve air quality.
- Kids love to have a pet, a waterfall or a fairy garden. Having them feed the fish or crayfish will not only give them a low maintenance pet, but will give them a sense of responsibility.
- If you keep a crayfish he will be eating size in less than a year…unless he is your pet in which case you should save him .
- The sound of a bubbling creek, and the visual effects of a rocky aquarium and a fern garden will create a relaxing environment for you to enjoy.
Q1- What if I don’t know anything about keeping plants or fish?
A1- Aquaponics requires very little maintenance and the natural processes looks after the water quality for you. We provide you will videos or verbal advice on how to optimize the health of your fish or plants.
Q2- Can I turn off the water trickling sound?
A2- You can have full or no trickling sound by moving the outlet pips and the water level in the bowl.
Q3- Is it safe to eat the vegies or herbs?
A3- Fish waste is converted into a safe plant food that grows very healthy vegies as they have regular fertilizing and plenty of water. As with all vegetables from a garden or Aquaponics, they must be washed before eating.
Q4- Where do I put the feature?
A4- A rainforest garden will need a minimum of half an hour direct light or hour strong diffuse light per day. Herbs need at least hours direct light. Access to power for the pump will be required.
Q5- How much does it cost to run?
A5- The features have a very small low voltage pump which is very efficient. It will typically cost $1 (Aust) per year to run. Given a hydroponic lettuce or herb bunch is around $4 you will be well ahead.
Q6- What type and how many fish can I keep?
A6- You can keep any small fish you wish. Fish such as Goldfish won’t need a heater, however you will need to purchase a pad heater (which sits on the bottom on the bowl) for tropical species. The amount of fish will depend on how you run your feature, however generally you can have anything up to 6 small fish (guppie size) or 2 larger fish (i.e goldfish size). You can keep a crayfish with fish however they may eat them overtime. You can catch wild non native guppies and add them to the bowl with a crayfish. Wild caught fish are far more predator savvy than store bought fish and last much longer. Our demonstration video will give you advice on stocking rates and species.
Q7- Is it real or imitated rock.
A7 The plants are growing out of pots which have an imitated rock coating that is food grade safe. They are porous (seeps water) and ferns and mosses will eventually grow all over them. They are Individual pots so they can be conveniently moved around and planted with a single plant type.
Q8- How do I feed the fish
A8- We have added a feeding hole in the top tray so all you need to do is add a small pinch of fish food once per day.
Q9- What if I have a question or a problem?
A9- We include instructional videos to help you set up and maintain your feature. If however you have any questions just call or email me for advice.
Prices and What is Included:
Aqua Ecosystem (28cm Diameter Bowl) - $140.00 plus $20 Delivery Australia Wide (No delivery for Pick up Orders)*
Aqua Ecosystem (33cm Diameter Bowl)- $200.00 plus $20 Delivery Australia Wide (No Delivery for Pick up Orders)*
- Includes; 1) Glass bowl (28cm, 10L) or (33cm, 15L), 2) pump, 3) fittings and accessories, 4) Biologically activated clay balls, 5) clay pot habitat for crayfish.
- Clay balls are Biologically activated (have established bacteria colonies) and the feature is ready to go.
Plants are Included
- Each features comes with the following: 1 birdsnest fern, 1 maiden hair fern or fern allie, 1 rainforest herb, 1 native violet plant which covers bottom tray.
- Please note they are small starter plants, which will grow quickly to the size shown in the photos.
- The rock cave in the photo of the bowl above is not included (can be purchased from pet stores), however we provide a clay pot for a crayfish home.
- Fish and Crayfish are not provided however they can be obtained from a pet store.
- Videos are provided on how to set up and upkeep of your feature. If you have any questions or queries you can contact me at any time.
- We have a 100% Money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
* Additional delivery cost may be required for WA and Tasmania, please contact us prior to purchase for a quote.
If you are interested in purchasing a “Aqua Ecosystem” please email Glenn Kvassay at email@example.com or by phone on 0417729509. Payment is through Paypal for customer protection.
Founder/author of the herphouse facebook page